A8 Owners Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» AUDI Driver International UK
Gears flipping up then down then up then down? EmptyTue Jun 20, 2017 4:35 am by A8_Tony

» Ride quality
Gears flipping up then down then up then down? EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 10:20 am by RicoUK

» It's been a while
Gears flipping up then down then up then down? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 9:33 am by A8_Tony

» Hi there all :)
Gears flipping up then down then up then down? EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 3:01 am by Britrb

» Quads fitted
Gears flipping up then down then up then down? EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 7:03 am by LLOYDY

» Hello from a possible new owner
Gears flipping up then down then up then down? EmptyFri Sep 05, 2014 7:48 am by boomtang

» Hello from Boycie
Gears flipping up then down then up then down? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 1:00 pm by boycie

» New Member no car, but might tomorrow?
Gears flipping up then down then up then down? EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 9:59 am by uk speedbird

» Indicators not working
Gears flipping up then down then up then down? EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 11:21 am by MiloTheGreat

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 140 on Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:19 am

Gears flipping up then down then up then down?

3 posters

Go down

Gears flipping up then down then up then down? Empty Gears flipping up then down then up then down?

Post by Willywombatlover Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:51 am

Hello everybody, it's great to be back. There is a saying, "once you've gone black, they ain't no goin back". Well I think it's similar when you've had an A8. I've had about 30 cars in between 8's and none of them has come close. The only reason I gave up on the original was due to the fuel bill. But, I have been patient, bided my time, and eventually I have sourced an S reg which has already been converted to run on LPG at great cost. Drove her back from Bristol last night (100 miles) and fell in love all over again. The only thing I'd forgotten about was the driving around town bit with it in D mode gets a bit annoying as it trys to find a suitable gear, flipping up then down then up then down if you are at a certain speed with certain revs. I just put it into 4, 3 or 2 mode depending on the general road speed, this worked well. Although I can't remember it being like this so bad with my last Audi. I hope it's not early stages of gear box failure, is it? Or maybe a sensor on the kick down is over sensitive or not sensitive enough, or the gearbox oil needs topping up, or it is just the way they are and I'm being mechanically paranoid, again!!!!

Willywombatlover
New Boy

Back to top Go down

Gears flipping up then down then up then down? Empty Re: Gears flipping up then down then up then down?

Post by Dezzy Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:16 am

I'll be honest i don't know what the problem is, but i can say i deffo don't have that problem with mine. Not around town anyway it used to change down a gear mid bend when driving a liitle hard so now always in tip when pushing her a bit.
Around town sat at say 30-40 she'll hit 4th and stay there unless it's booted but tickle the throttle and she'll not change down.

I do have an old car with the early 4 speed, so don't know if that makes any difference?
Dezzy
Dezzy
New Boy

Back to top Go down

Gears flipping up then down then up then down? Empty Re: Gears flipping up then down then up then down?

Post by jimbob Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:04 pm

Yea, im the same. got the 4 spd as well. There's no unexpected changes at all. I've read a few posts like this now and they all mention this to be early signs of gearbox problems (fairly common in 5spds if not treated right). From what i've read a transmission fluid and filter change usually does the job. It's not recommended to leave this problem indefinatly. Hopefully someone in the know will shine a bit more light on the situation. good luck chap and let us know how you get on.

jimbob
New Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum